International and foreign economic relations of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation are a significant component of the foreign policy of our state. They do influence the formation and implementation of the foreign policy course of the country, give specific substance to the international agreements made by Russia, and provide an important vector for further integration of Russia into the global economic system.
At the same time, the economic, cultural and humanitarian potential of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation in the international sphere can be accomplished in full only with the relevant support of the federal authorities. In turn, Russia's national interests on the international stage and its attitudes towards other countries can be optimally ensured through joint efforts of the federal center and the constituent entities of the Federation.
At the state level, this work is based on the Constitution of the Russian Federation, agreements on the separation of competence and powers between the state authorities of the Russian Federation and of the constituent entities of the Federation, the Federal Law "On Coordination of International and Foreign Economic Relations of the Constituent Entities of the Russian Federation”, Federal Law "On the Principles of the State Regulation of Foreign Trade Activity”, Decree of the President of the Russian Federation "On the Coordinating Role of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation in the Conduct of Unified Foreign Policy Line of the Russian Federation”, Statutes of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Russian Federation as well as other regulatory legal acts of the Russian Federation.
In accordance with the above legal acts, coordination of international and foreign economic ties of the constituent entities of the Federation is under joint competence of the Russian Federation and its constituent entities.
The Russian Foreign Ministry is assigned to be an overhead body in the system of federal executive authorities in coordinating international and foreign economic relations of the constituent entities of the Federation.
The principal documents that govern the activities of Rossotrudnichestvo while performing the current policy, are The Russian Federation state program “Foreign Policy Activities”, the Concept of the Russian Foreign Ministry activities in coordinating international and foreign economic relations of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation, and Statutes of Rossotrudnichestvo.
In accordance with Russian Federation state program “Foreign Policy Activities”, Rossotrudnichestvo puts into practice main event 3.6 "Development of International Relations of the Constituent Entities of the Russian Federation and Municipalities" of "Implementation of Activities in the Field of International Humanitarian Cooperation and International Development Assistance" subprogram 3. Main event 3.6 includes event 1 "Promotion of the Interests of the Constituent Entities of the Russian Federation Abroad" and event 2 "International Cooperation Activities of the Twin Cities", as well as introduces a planned basis of this activity, the binding mechanism of signing cooperation agreements and adopting the associated plan of activities. Fleshing out the subprogram with joint activities involving the constituent entities of the Russian Federation will facilitate coordinated actions aimed at achieving the objectives related to the subject of the joint competence of the Russian Federation and the constituent entities thereof. A similar approach applies to the interrelationship with the municipalities.
In accordance with the Statutes of Rossotrudnichestvo, the Agency provides “assistance in support and development of international contacts with the constituent entities of the Russian Federation in scientific-technical, cultural, and economic fields, as well as in the field of education” (item 6.15 of the Statutes), and also coordinates cooperation between the twin cities” (item 6.16 of the Statutes). Coordination of cooperation between the twin cities is an important part of the activities of Rossotrudnichestvo while maintaining and developing international relations of the constituent entities of the Russian Federation and should be correlated with the unified system of programs of socio-economic development of the country, regions and municipalities. The vector of the activities and the scope of major objectives that are to be achieved in these domains, are to a large extent identical, despite the inherent differences in formats and scales of their implementation.
The primary objectives of the activities in these areas carried out by Rossotrudnichestvo, are as follows:
- fostering favorable external conditions for the constituent entities of the Russian Federation to exercise their constitutional right for establishment of international and foreign economic relations,
- assisting the constituent entities and municipalities of the Russian Federation in promotion of international relations in the interests of their socio-economic development, while adhering to a unified foreign policy, sovereignty and territorial integrity of the Russian Federation;
- promoting the use of international and foreign economic relations of the constituent entities and municipalities of the Russian Federation to serve foreign political and economic interests of the Russian Federation on the international stage;
- facilitating cross-border cooperation at the regional and municipal levels as a tool for forming a belt of good neighborly relations along the perimeter of our country’s borders.
- assisting in development and implementation of regional programs aimed to support compatriots living abroad, engaging regions to perform joint activities in the involved sphere of activity;
- contributing to strengthening and development of Russian regional societies of friendship with foreign countries, other regional non-governmental organizations of international specialization, as well as establishing and developing their contacts with non-governmental bodies of the member states of the Commonwealth of Independent States and other countries;
With the aim of harmonizing and coordinating activities for implementation of programs of collaboration between Rossotrudnichestvo and the constituent entities of the Russian Federation, joint coordinating meetings are scheduled to be held annually.